Canonicalization - What is a Canonical URL?
This is one of my favorite topics. I am always ready (read hungry) to discuss about Canonicalization and want to share my knowledge about what Canonicalization is and how is it done? So, let's start the topic with a proper definition.
To get a hang of real time "canonicalization" issues, please look at this response of mine that I have put while answering a question about "how to implement canonical URL on various versions of same page?" in MOZ Q&A.
I hope this is a good info that I am sharing today. Please subscribe to my blog if you find it interesting and please do share your views and doubts in comments. I would be happy to discuss with all you smart souls out there.
As per Wikipedia, In computer science, canonicalization is a process for converting data that has more than one possible representation into a "standard', "normal" or canonical form. (Click Here)
Now if we look at it in SEO terms, this "more than one possible representation" can be replaced with multiple URLs. In SEO terms, canonicalization means redirecting to a single URL which has the highest authority out of multiple URLs.
Sample Code:
<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.yourwebsite.com/" />
What is a Canonical URL?
If I put it in simple words, if you have a same piece of content on multiple pages then search engines would be confused about which version is the best to show to the searchers. This is where the canonical URL comes into picture. If you won't put the canonical URLs to the copy pages then it may get caught in duplicate content penalty. So to avoid this complication, canonical URLs comes into picture, choose the canonical URL of the original page content and put it on other copy pages. Problem would be solved.
Example:
As you can see in this example, there are different versions of home page so in this case, you should set the canonical URL as:
and put it on other versions of home page.
- https://www.yourwebsite.com
and put it on other versions of home page.- https://yourwebsite.com
- https://www.yourwebsite.com/index.html
- https://yourwebsite.com/index.html
To get a hang of real time "canonicalization" issues, please look at this response of mine that I have put while answering a question about "how to implement canonical URL on various versions of same page?" in MOZ Q&A.
Here's the link: https://moz.com/community/q/i-still-don-t-understand-how-rel-canonical-works-help
I hope this is a good info that I am sharing today. Please subscribe to my blog if you find it interesting and please do share your views and doubts in comments. I would be happy to discuss with all you smart souls out there.

0 comments:
Post a Comment